Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rain, rain... come this way!

We've been hoping and praying for a good, drenching rain for the past month. For the past two weeks, almost every day, the skies looked like they'd open up at any moment, but we've been left disappointed and dry. Late spring and the first week of summer have been brutal... hot, humid and just plain miserable. The 90+ degree temperatures wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't accompanied by 70%+ humidity. It would also be nice to get a little relief at night, but temperature barely drop below 80 degrees. Our A/C is running 24-7 and our sprinkler system is running twice a week. 

We have St. Augustine grass in our yard and it requires a good soaking rain... or a good soaking by the sprinkler system. To those of you who do not live in the Tampa Bay area, water is expensive here. I'm talking about monthly water bills of $100+ during the winter and $200+ during the summer. I have no idea why water is so expensive because in Baltimore, I think water bills average $20 every quarter. We need the rain to feel a little relief in our wallets. 

In Florida, we have two seasons: winter and summer. We are sometimes blessed with a cool spring day or mild autumn day, but those cool days are few and far between. I'd have to say that winter is probably my favorite season since moving to Florida because the temperatures are in the 60's and 70's and the humidity is low. The 2009/2010 winter was unseasonably cold, but I was pregnant and enjoyed every minute of it. Last winter was relatively mild and we only turned on the heat for Bella's sake. We make the most of winter with trips to Busch Gardens, Disney World and the zoo. Now don't get me wrong, I love summer and all the things that accompany summer. We enjoy swimming in our pool, going to the beach and the yummy fruits and vegetables that are bountiful in summer. I just prefer winter... in Florida. 

I was born and raised in Baltimore and I have experienced my fair share of brutal winters and hot summers. I suppose I would miss the snow, ice and cold weather more if I could enjoy a day off from school, like I did as a child. I remember praying for snow because I had some big exam or project due in high school. My prayers were usually answered by a few inches or feet of snow. When I was in college, I lived in a town named Frostburg, need I say more? During my time at Frostburg, I had never seen so much snow and I also had never experienced snow in October or May. My junior year it snow in late April / early May and I will never forget that. I had a dinner to attend and planned to wear a strapless dress, needless to say, I still wore the strapless dress but looked like a crazy person because it was snowing. Summers in Baltimore are hot and humid, but last for only a few months. Unfortunately, not every place in Baltimore has A/C like in Florida, bummer. Baltimore is a great place to visit... in the spring and autumn. 

It's nearly 11am and it's a cloudy day but it's still 81 degrees. There's a 70% chance of rain today, but God only knows if and when it will rain. Bella and I are heading to the aquarium after her morning nap with Stephanie and Connor. It should be a a fun day for the Lasher and Freedman families! 

Love always,
Ian, Kim & Bella

P.S. I know I've been complaining about our house as of late, but I really do love our house and feel very blessed to have such a beautiful home to raise our family in. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment