Monday, November 5, 2012

Down and out

Wow, so much has been happening with our little family but I haven't had a moment to blog about it. Let's just say that we've spent a lot of time in various doctors' offices and filling multiple prescriptions. We've been busy but unfortunately we've been down and out. Blah!

Before Halloween, Bella came down with an awful illness. She went down for a nap one afternoon, perfectly happy and healthy, and woke up three hours later with a fever of 103 degrees. Then the vomiting started and the fever spiked to 104. That's when we headed to the after hours pediatrics clinic. We were told it was a virus and that it needed to run it's course. So that's exactly what we did. Fortunately we had Bella's 30-month well check with our pediatrician a few days later. Bella was not getting better and her oxygen levels were a little low. The pediatrician diagnosed her with bronchitis and a double ear infection. We ended up bringing home a nebulizer and antibiotics. She is feeling much better but still has a slight cough.

Being the sweet and kind sister that she is, Bella shared her germs with CeCe Rose. She was hit and she was hit hard. Her fever spiked to 104 and refused to break. After a trip to the pediatrician (for the third time that week) it was confirmed that CeCe had RSV and a double ear infection. The RSV affected her lungs and oxygen absorption,  so she was prescribed a nebulizer to help open things up.  After about 3 days, her fever finally broke and her body began to recover. She still have a lingering cough, but the pediatrician said it would take a few weeks for the RSV to run its course.

Thankfully both girls are on the mend and I pray that we don't get hit with another bug any time soon. Been the antibiotics, fever reducers and frequent breathing treatments, I probably earned my nursing degree.

Between all the back and forth between the after hours clinic and the pediatrician, I almost forgot about our trip to the hospital for CeCe's renal ultrasound and VCUG. We haven't received the official results of the tests, but initial results were promising. It doesn't appear that she has reflux in either kidney and anatomically things look normal. It was a long day at TGH and CeCe was such a little trooper. Our pediatrician will receive the results soon and hopefully no news is good news.

And then there's me. I went for an MRI on my lower back a few weeks ago after months of lingering back pain. It turns out that I wasn't imagining the pain and I have a slipped disc that is partially torn. The primary care physician referred me for physical therapy, twice a week. We will address the injury and pain again after a few weeks of PT. I begin PT this afternoon, so wish me luck!

Tomorrow I'm meeting with a neurologist to address my chronic migraines. The medication my PCP prescribed works great, but it's not so much a maintenance medication. Our insurance doesn't want to cover it unless I'm under the care of a specialist. So hopefully the neurologist can get to the bottom of my headaches and convince our insurance that I need this medication. Here's to hoping!

I've got a lot to catch up on, including our 2012 holiday photo shoot and CeCe's first trip to Disney. There are a TON of pictures so perhaps I'll just devote an entire post to photos of what we've been up to recently. Until then...

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment