Thursday, October 13, 2011

Craigslist

After doing some extensive research, I decided I wanted to purchase a new steam mop. We've had our Shark steam mop for several years and compared to newer steam mops, it's a piece of crap. It's small, it has to be pumped in order to produce steam and the tank is small. Newer steam mops have a larger cleaning surface, don't have to be pumped and have a bigger tank. We have a lot of tile in our house, especially downstairs, so it's a necessity to have something that cleans well and cleans quickly.

I listed two of our steam mops on Craigslist in hopes that I could get a few bucks for them to put toward the new steam mop. Yes, I said two steam mops. I got a great deal on a Bissell Sweep & Steam mop about 6-months ago but didn't really care for it. The suction on the vacuum was poor and the steam didn't seem to clean the floors very well. I will admit, it was an impulse buy, but with a $25 Target gift card and a $30 manufacturer's rebate, I couldn't resist. But anyway, I listed the Shark steam mop and the Bissell Sweep & Steam on Craigslist and patiently waited.

I received several responses for the Shark steam mop, but I think only because I had listed it for $25. I actually had ALL the attachments, including 5 microfiber cleaning pads, a carpet glider, a funnel and measuring cup. Considering that I paid nearly $90 for this mop a few years ago, $25 was a bargain. A very nice gentleman replied to the ad and I met him in the Publix parking lot one afternoon. He brought cash and I brought the mop. It was so easy! I hoped the other steam mop would be just as easy to sell.

Now this brings me to the Bissell Sweep & Steam mop... I patiently waited for a response and didn't receive one. I listed it for $100 and knew that people would think it was too high. I had only used it once and was looking to break even. After about a week, I lowered the price and re-listed it. I received a response from a gentleman who sounded to me like he was foreign. It turns out, he wasn't foreign, he was just stupid. I replied to his inquiry and that's when the weirdness began. In his second email, he had asked me out on a date and urged me to call him. Umm, definitely not buddy! I eventually reported him to Craigslist and I never responded to his second email. Who the hell asks someone out in response to an ad for a steam mop? Ewww!

I waited for a more normal response to my ad and vowed that I would take Ian with me if and when I should the steam mop. I didn't have to wait long and several people replied to my ad in one day! I had multiple offers and so I responded to all of the offers, in case the original offer fell through. I told the additional inquires that I had an offer but would contact them if they were still interested and if the original sale fell through. I was low-balled by a few people, but was able to get the full asking price of $50. I didn't get my original full asking price, but at least I got something for it. The transaction is scheduled to go down next Tuesday so hopefully it will be as smooth as the first.

My first experience selling something on Craigslist went surprisingly well. I can't say the same for my second experience, until that actually happens. So far, it's been a bit more difficult, considering the low ball offers and the creepy dude who asked me out on a date. But making a few bucks on things we no longer use isn't too bad. The $25 I've made thus far and the potential $50 I'll make next week is far better than nothing at all!

Oh, and if you're wondering what steam mop I purchased to replace our other steam mops... I purchased the Eureka Enviro-Steam mop and quickly returned it. People raved about this mop and I thought it was a P.O.S.. The steam produced was not impressive, it didn't remove half the gunk that was on the floor and it left my floors soaking wet! I'm not sure what all the hype is about, but I was definitely not impressed. I ended up returning that steam mop and purchasing the Shark Lift-Away Professional Steam Pocket Mop. The highlights of this steam mop include not having to pump it to produce steam, a taller handle, a bigger tank AND a lift-away feature so that you can steam clean things other than your floor. It's only been used twice but it works really well! It thoroughly cleaned the floors and melted away handprints and dog gunk from the sliding glass door. The lift-away feature is pretty cool and I think it will come in handy for steam cleaning just about anything. Oooh, I can't wait to steam clean some of Bella's toys... it's the little things in life that bring me such excitement!

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2

No comments:

Post a Comment