Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sleep

After two nights of less than desirable amounts of sleep, we were sure glad to wake up and realize that it is Saturday. The only thing on our agenda today were Bella's swim lessons at the Y. It was nice to take it easy this morning and not stress about getting everything done before Ian leaves for work.

Bella did really well at her swim lessons today. She climbed out of the pool (unassisted) several times, blew bubbles in the water, kicked her legs (like a froggy) and scooped water with her little hands. Even though these lessons are mainly water acclamation skills, it's good to know that she is actually learning from these lessons. I think we're going to look into a more rigorous program for over the summer. I'd like for Bella to have better water survival skills than what the Y can currently teach her. I don't have expectations of her being Michael Phelps at this point, but I'd like for her to develop the skills for her to be able to survive for a few moments IF she ever fell in a pool (or any other body of water for that matter). Ian and Bella played in the splash pool for almost an hour after swim lessons and had a blast! Cecilia and I can't wait to join them... once we're both bikini ready! Ha-ha!

Cecilia has been regressing in her night time sleeping. She's a hungry little hippo and wants to eat every 90-minutes, so by the time we get her back down, it's just about time to get up and feed her again. It also hasn't been easy to get her back down the last two nights, so I've resorted to sleeping on the floor next to her. She's a tummy sleeper, like her mother and big sister, but tummy sleeping at 3-weeks of age scares me. So I lay her on a thin, muslin blanket and lay down next to her. I can literally hear and feel her breathing, so it alleviates a little bit of anxiety for me. Bella didn't start wanting to sleep on her tummy until she was almost 6-months and by that point, she could roll back and forth as she pleased. Cecilia can pick up her head (amazing, I know) but she can't roll over if she's in distress. I'm debating using the pack-and-play in conjunction with the Angel Care movement monitor in our room IF she's going to be sleeping on her tummy. I have a lot of research to do IF we're even going to consider allowing Cecilia to sleep on her tummy.

Bella is the only one getting a decent night's sleep around her. Her sleeping has not been affected by Cecilia and for that we are very thankful. I've heard horror stories of older siblings regressing in their sleep habits and that's the last thing I need right now. I can't imagine having to console a 3-week-old and a 2-year-old every 90-minutes. Hopefully Cecilia follows in her sister's foot steps with good sleep habits, but I know it will take some time for her to develop good sleep habits. As much as I don't want my little girls to grow up so darn, I long for the day that I have two children who sleep through the night.

As I'm typing, everyone else in the house is still asleep. We all went down for naps around 1:00pm and I was the first one to wake up. Ian, the girls and the dog are still fast asleep. I'm feeling somewhat refreshed and I'm hoping everyone else feels the same when they wake up. But right now, I'm listening to the "Gruntasaurus Rex" (a.k.a. Cecilia) and the "Snorasaurus Rex" (a.k.a. Ian) and enjoying an otherwise quiet house. The "Talkasaurus Rex (a.k.a Bella) should be up soon and I'm guessing that everyone else will be wide awake shortly after that. For now, I'm enjoying a few quiet moments to myself.

Well, that's all folks. I hear some stirring from upstairs and I think my afternoon of quiet bliss is about to expire. I sure enjoyed it while it lasted.

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Cecilia


No comments:

Post a Comment