Saturday, February 25, 2012

Newborn Fever

While Bella was at Grandma Ruth's for the weekend, I had the opportunity to spend the day with two adorable newborns! Ian and I attended a low key get together at our friends', Paul and Lisa's house and got to spend the entire afternoon with two babies under the age of 8-weeks. No diapers to change, no child to feed... no responsibilities! It was wonderful and I forgot how cute, adorable and sleepy newborn babies are. Baby Daniella and baby Olivia were absolute angels! But most newborns are perfect little angels...

Only a crazy person would choose to spend their time away from their own child with other people's children, but newborns are much easier to deal with than a very active toddler. When newborns cry, they usually only need one of three things: food, a diaper change or to be held. When toddlers cry, God only knows why they're crying and their crying often sounds more like whining. Rather than running all over the place and climbing on pieces of furniture, newborns are content to be held for long periods of time. Don't get me wrong, I love Bella and she is so much fun to be with, but today was a reminder of just how much I miss having a newborn.

At the current moment, I am in no hurry to trade places with the parents of a newborn, especially when it comes to nighttime. I enjoy my sleep and I am not looking forward to interrupted sleep. Bella is on a great schedule and it's going to be an adjustment for the entire family when our little one arrives. It will be a challenge for sure, but it's a challenge I'm ready for. I mean, we had no clue how to take care of a newborn when we brought Bella home and we survived (somehow). So we'll handle this change the same way: do whatever it takes to survive! Hopefully by the time we bring baby #2 home I'll be more comfortable with asking for help and humbly accept the help from family and friends.

I am very much looking forward to meeting baby #2 and bringing her home. While we may be sleep deprived for several weeks or months, having a newborn makes the lack of sleep completely worthwhile. In less than 8-weeks or so, we will be meeting our daughter for the first time and I cannot wait! In the meantime, I'll enjoy baby Daniella and baby Olivia AND my sleep.

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2

No comments:

Post a Comment