Monday, December 12, 2011

Errands & Accidents

Today started out great! Bella and I were ready and out the door by 9am to begin running errands. Little did that our day would take a turn for the worse after Bella's nap...

We headed out early to beat the traffic and crowds at the stores. I needed to run to my least favorite store, Babies-R-Us, because they were having a sale on diapers. I also had coupons from P&G for Pampers, so I wanted to stack my savings. Maybe it was because we were there first thing in the morning, but today's trip to BRU was actually a really good experience. I wanted a box of Pampers Swaddlers for baby #2, because we're starting to stock pile things like diapers and wipes when they're on sale. Online they advertised a box of 234-diapers for $45.99. When I arrived at the store, they only had a box of 210-diapers for $45.99. Obviously I wanted my additional 24-diapers, so I asked an employee for assistance. After she searched the entire store, she found the only remaining box on the floor. Yay! I picked up another box of diapers for Bella and a huge box of wipes. With the coupons I used and the gift card I received, it was like purchasing 374 diapers for only 16 cents each! Not a bad deal, if I do say so myself. I picked up a few other odds and ends for baby #2, using coupons. The coupon fairies must have been smiling down on me today because the cashier accepted my 20% off BRU coupons AND my $5 off coupon from Buy Buy Baby. My savings really added up this trip, despite several impulse buys. 

After BRU, we headed to Walgreens and Publix. I needed to pick up gift cards for our white elephant family exchange. In our family, not only do you put in an outrageous gift, but you put in a gift that someone would actually want. It's great because you get the best of both worlds. I also picked up a few last minute gifts. Never in my life did I think I'd spend so much money at Walgreens, but I killed many birds with one stone. Feeling productive, we headed to Publix to purchase a few things for the week. And by noon we were home eating lunch and getting ready for nap time.

I planned to take a nap but my mind was going a mile a minute so I relaxed and watched some DVR'ed shows instead. I'm sure glad I relaxed for those 3-hours because I had no idea what was in store for us for the rest of the afternoon. Once Bella woke up from her nap, I went in there with a basket of clean laundry. My plan was to keep her in the crib while I folded and put her laundry away. It's something I do on a weekly basis and usually goes without a hitch. Well, I had forgotten that I had washed her lovies today, so when she saw them she became really excited. What do kids do when they're excited and standing on a mattress? Why they start jumping up and down! But unlike most kids, Bella didn't fair so well... during her gymnastics, she hit her mouth on the front of the crib! Ouch! I quickly scooped her up to console her. As I was loving on her and telling her it would be okay, I went to flip her upside because that usually cheers her up and she'll start to giggle. Well, when I flipped her over her face was C-O-V-E-R-E-D in blood. The front of my chest was covered in blood and blood was gushing out of her mouth. 

Rather than panicking, I "calmly" called my friend, Sara, who responded that she'd be there in a second. Apparently she told me something else during that conversation, but all I heard was "I'll be there in a second." Once Sara and her girls arrived, Bella was pretty much finished crying but the blood was still gushing out of her mouth. With Sara's guidance, we were able to locate the source of the bleeding. Being the awesome friend that she is, Sara not only held my child while I poked and prodded in her mouth, but she helped clean up my child while I called the pediatrician and dentist. Luckily the bleeding stopped after I gave Bella a frozen teething ring and I was able to get in touch with our friend, Patrick, who is a dentist. I sent him a few pictures of Bella's mouth and he deemed the accident as a non-emergency and said it could wait until tomorrow. I picked his brain regarding infection and the chance of her losing the tooth, but he reassured me that kids are resilient and most of the damage was at the gum-line and not the actual tooth. He also reassured me that if the tooth was dead, that it was only a baby tooth and she'd only have a few years of dental anguish. Obviously I was exhausted after the whole ordeal, as was Bella. She is such a trooper and once the hoopla was all over, she was back to her normal, sweet self. I am happy to report that Bella is doing just fine this evening and hopefully won't have any permanent physical (or mental) damage from this. 

It's been one hell of a day around here. The week is only about to get busier... oh joy! I'd say I'm looking forward to the rest and relaxation during the holidays, but that is so far from the truth. Lots of friends and family to see and so little time to do so. If only I could be in two places at once... 

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2

A nice cold teething ring does the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment