Sunday, November 13, 2011

Potty Training 101

We purchased a potty for Bella several months ago, as Bella had expressed an interest in using a potty. Personally, I wasn't ready for potty training, but I figured we'd give it a try. After several futile attempts to get Bella to use the potty, we stopped trying and decided that she'd go when she was ready. Well, apparently the time has come and she is now ready to use the potty.

While at Grandma Ruth's she used the potty several times and even asked Grandma Ruth to use the potty on multiple occasions. My OCD child even asks to wash her hands after she is finished using the potty. Unfortunately, Ian and I were not around to witness Bella using her potty, so we took Grandma Ruth's word for it. Sometimes Bella says or does something while at Grandma Ruth's house and we never witness it for ourselves. We usually take Grandma Ruth's stories with a grain of salt, but apparently there is a lot of truth to Bella using the potty. 

At the suggestion of my mom, we decided to keep with the potty training. I went out last night with my friend Lindsay, so Ian attempted to have Bella use the potty. I guess she has a shy bladder around her daddy because she didn't successfully use the potty while with Ian. This morning, I figured I'd give it a try and asked Bella if she needed to use the potty. She got very excited and ran toward the bathroom, while pulling at her diaper. I stripped her down and sat her on the potty. Being 18-weeks pregnant, I needed to use the potty as well and so I provided Bella with some inspiration (too much information, I know). Apparently there was a method to my madness because within seconds we had SUCCESS! She tinkled in the potty and then told me she was "all done." I yelled to Ian that we had success and he came in to help praise her. She was so excited that she had used the potty and seemed to really enjoy all of the praise she was receiving. She even asked to wash her hands afterwards, using her step stool of course. What a big girl!

She's only 19-months-old and we aren't pushing her to use the potty. I think we're going to take this potty training thing slow. It is a work in progress and I'm certain she will get the hang of this over time. She is making great strides and we are so proud of her. My little girl is growing up so fast. It seems like only yesterday we were changing teeny, tiny little diapers and now Bella is using the potty. She never ceases to amaze me... and I don't think she ever will. I love her more than words can say and I am so lucky to be her mom.

That's enough bathroom talk for one day... I'm sure there will be more potty training stories in the near future, so be prepared. Wish us luck as we continue with "Potty Training 101"! 

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2

No comments:

Post a Comment