Monday, September 12, 2011

"I get by with a little help from my friends..."

Everybody needs a little time to themselves, even stay-at-home-moms. For most SAHM, this comes in the form of nap time, but not this SAHM... after I had Bella, I quickly learned that it's more than okay to leave your child with a responsible caregiver, whom is usually paid handsomely, otherwise known as a babysitter. 


I originally hired a babysitter who used to come to our house once a week for about 4-hours. Then I increased this time when I began splitting a babysitter with my friend. For awhile there, I had so much time to myself and I didn't have enough to do. I was always caught up on housework, errands and my DVR; it was great. It almost got to be too much time, so I went back 4-hours a week. With all of our traveling, Bella hasn't been left with a babysitter in over a month. And I desperately need those 4-hours these week. Normally my friend Sara and I split a babysitter on Mondays, but Sara and her family were out of town so we rescheduled for tomorrow. 


On a day that I could have really used some time for myself, I had very little. The very little time I did have for myself was given to me by Ian in the form of a quick trip to Target. He had to return something, so he offered to take Bella with him and I gladly accepted his very generous offer. For an entire hour, the house was quiet with the exception of the vacuum cleaner downstairs, which was being run by the housekeeper. 


Yes, I'll admit it (and I'm not ashamed)... I hired a housekeeper to assist me in keeping our house tidy and clean. I think I convinced Ian that bi-weekly would be best, but it's something that is still being negotiated. I wouldn't have even considered hiring a housekeeper, but housework is something that has been placed on the back burner recently. Here is the reasoning behind our decision... Ian has been working A LOT, even on the weekends and his travel schedule is about to get crazy. Bella has been super active lately and I'd rather spend time with her than cleaning.  So we decided to hire someone to do our dirty work (literally). It was so nice to have a clean house after a hectic day of chasing Bella around. 


So yes, this SAHM has a weekly babysitter and a (possibly) bi-weekly housekeeper... so sue me. I honestly wouldn't be able to get by without a little help from my "friends". Throughout much of my life, I've been afraid to ask for help, even when I've really needed it. As I've gotten older and wiser, I've learned that it's okay to ask for help. It's nothing to be ashamed of and it's something I am very thankful for. 


Well, I'm exhausted after a very long day with Bella, so it's bedtime for the SAHM... goodnight! 


Love always,
Ian, Kim & Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment