Friday, December 2, 2011

Half way there!

Due to my gross negligence and pregnancy brain, I missed my 20-week anatomy scan last week. We were in the middle of assembling nursery furniture and getting ready for Thanksgiving, so it totally slipped my mind. I realized almost an hour late that I had missed my appointment and so I called immediately to reschedule. I was able to get an appointment for this afternoon, which was more than fine with me. Ian worked from home today because my appointment was the afternoon, during Bella's nap time. I dare not wake a sleeping child and Ian has the ability to work from home, so I took advantage of it.


The ultrasound technician is really nice and unlike most u/s technicians, she actually takes time to explain things as she is doing the scan. Little Miss Lasher is in fact, a little miss. We found out at a previous u/s and that fact was confirmed today. Her measurements look great and she's measuring right on time. She is definitely a wiggle worm and was moving and grooving throughout the u/s. 


Unfortunately, there is some slightly off putting news... at the end of my u/s, I found out there is a slight problem. I have a placental lake, which is essentially a pool of maternal blood in the placenta. The u/s technician showed the images to the OB and so she scheduled me for a level II u/s next week at the local hospital. The OB wants to get a better look at the placenta and this pool of blood. She reassured me that this is nothing to be concerned about, as if it were an actual concern, she would have scheduled the level II u/s for today. Easy for her to say, right? I am going to try to relax and not worry about this, but worrying is what we mothers do best! Of course I came home and googled "placental lake" and was surprised to find that this is a common occurrence. That was a relief... well sort of. If it's any consolation, at least I get to see her again next week!


This little girl is giving me a run for my money. My pregnancy with Bella was practically a breeze. I had absolutely no complications and my pregnancy was completely normal. This pregnancy has been plagued with constant nausea, horrendous back aches and now this little issue. I live off anti-nausea meds, I wear a belly band for back support and I will have to have a more in-depth u/s next week. If this is any indication of what Little Miss Lasher will be like as a child, then we are really in for it!


I am going to try to take it easy this weekend, which will be no easy feat. I have a 20-month-old toddler to chase, a baby shower to host for my friend, holiday cards to mail and a household to run. Luckily Bella is going to Grandma Ruth's on Sunday so I can focus on hosting an amazingly awesome baby shower for my dear friend, Lisa. A mother's work is never done, I tell you! 


Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2


P.S. I am not worried about this minor issue that is actually a very common occurrence, so please don't worry about me or Little Miss Lasher. If something were really wrong, my OB would have sent me straight to labor and delivery for monitoring and I would not be sitting here blogging about it. Just keep thinking positive thoughts and this too shall pass! =)

2 comments: