Friday, December 9, 2011

"It's easier to leave than to be left behind..."

Uncle Mickey and I at our wedding in August 2008.
This afternoon I received some bad news from my dad. My godfather, Uncle Mickey, passed away around 1:00pm today after a battle with kidney and liver failure. He had been in the hospital for several weeks and after being told he was too weak for a liver transplant, things quickly went down hill. Things haven't really set in yet and I think I'm actually still in denial. 


In terms of godparents, I really lucked out. My parents chose two of the most amazing people to help guide me through life. They have always been there for me and even though I'm a thousand miles away, we have always made it a point to keep in touch. My godfather was an amazing man, who overcame adversity to become a very accomplished professional in the field of banking. He was married my Aunt Laurie for over 20-years and they loved each other in a way I always admired. In my opinion, Uncle Mickey was one of the smartest, most charismatic, most handsome and most down-to-earth man, I've ever known. I hope I can be half the person he was. 


I was able to spend some time with Uncle Mickey this past year during our various trips to Baltimore. We even spent about 30-minutes alone, picking up pizza, so we had a chance to talk. It was during this quick trip that he confided in me just how sick he really was. I didn't want to believe it and I knew I would eventually come to terms with it, but I just wanted to enjoy our time together. I have so many good memories of Uncle Mickey, that will never be forgotten. I've enjoyed reminiscing about these fond memories, but I miss him already. I'm always thankful that he was able to meet Bella and spend some time with her. If only she could have gotten to know him the way I was able to. She would have loved him as much as I do. 


I take some comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering and that Uncle Mickey is in a much better place. He has been reunited with his parents, who passed away when he was just a child. And I know he will continue to watch over me, just like he did here on Earth. I really do miss him.... 


So please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers, especially my Aunt Laurie. She could really use the extra strength right now, as could the rest of us. We miss him more than words can say and are truly devastated by this loss. 


Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2

No comments:

Post a Comment