Saturday, December 17, 2011

Where in the world is Mama Lasher?

I am blogging from a very unexpected location. Here are some hints: I'm with about 125 of my closest friends. I'm not quite sure of my exact geographical location. I have a window seat. In case you're still stumped, I'm on an airplane! I'm en route from Baltimore to Tampa and I'm about 30,000 feet above the ground and somewhere over North Carolina (at least that's my guess). Pretty cool, huh?

AirTran was offering wifi for $1.95 today, so I decided to treat myself to a little in-flight entertainment. I thought it would be cool to blog from the friendly skies, so here I am! I've already checked my Facebook and email, all from my window seat.

My trip to Baltimore was bittersweet. It was great to spend time with my family, but I wish we would have been together for a happier occasion. Thursday night we attended the viewing and memorial service at the funeral home. The memorial service was certainly a tearjerker, especially when the minister made reference to my dad and me. On Friday we attended the funeral and a lunch in honor of my god father. In that cemetery, I said my goodbyes to Uncle Mickey and told him that we would one day be reunited. It wasn't an easy goodbye but it was something I needed to do in order to come to terms with his death. I'm not quite to the acceptance part yet, but every day I am one step closer to accepting his death.

For most, in the grand scheme of things, god parents often seem unimportant, but I am one of the lucky ones. My god parents have been involved in my life since birth and even in my adult life. To me, god parents are very special people who provide love and guidance, until they leave this Earth. My god parents have done exactly that. They have attended dance recitals, soccer games, graduations and a wedding. I see my god parents several times a year and have had the privilege of introducing them to Bella. My god parents have seen me grow into a woman, with a life and family of her, but who is grounded enough to return home quite often to be with family.

My family is pretty awesome, including my extended family. I have an extensive network of aunts, uncles and cousins who are all amazing people. We have fun when we're together, we actually enjoy spending time together and, most importantly, we all love and support one another... no matter what. Okay, enough about how awesome my family, because this will certainly go to all of their heads.

I have about another hour until I touch down in Tampa. Ian and Bella will be there to pick me up at the airport and I cannot wait to see them! I've been gone since Wednesday and I really miss them. Ian and Bella had some quality daddy/daughter time today and enjoyed a trip to Busch Gardens... just the two of them! Tonight we will head to a holiday party that we RSVP'ed to before I made plans for this trip. We will be a little, but that's okay, the party will be well worth the extra hustle and bustle.

And that is all... from somewhere over the southeastern United States.

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2

P.S. I have forgotten how EASY it is to travel without children! My dad dropped me off at BWI at 2:45pm, I was to the gate by 3:05 and was on the plane by 3:30pm! Carrying on luggage and traveling light is a luxury I miss, although I do love my little travel buddy, Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment