Monday, March 7, 2011

Head, shoulders, knees and toes?





After a rather sleepless night... We followed up with the pediatrician this morning and Bella has been diagnosed with Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. After a thorough check of every inch of Bella's entire body, Dr. Hosemann discovered a nasty looking sore on the back of Bella's throat. There was no way we could have seen this because it was on the very back of her throat. Our poor baby girl! And the only treatment is TIME! We can give her Motrin for any fever or pain, but other than that, the only remedy is time.


The funniest part about the trip to the pediatrician was when Dr. Hosemann told me Bella could return to daycare within 5-7 days. This comment made me laugh. I told her that Bella does not go to daycare and that I stay at home with her. She laughed and said, "Well she probably picked it up from a shopping cart at Publix." The question that popped in my mind was, "Why the hell does Bella keep getting sick?" Within the past month, the poor child has had pink eye, an upper respiratory infection and HFM disease! I then thought about what Dr. Hosemann had told me about the incubation period... 5-7 days. I immediately thought of physical therapy. Bella goes to physical therapy twice a week and 6 days ago, she went to physical therapy. It makes perfect sense and I like having a scapegoat. 


Dr. Hosemann was correct though, she could have contracted this from anywhere. A shopping cart at Publix, a changing table at the mall, the child care center at the gym or physical therapy. I just like knowing the who, what, where, why and when of things, so I need something to blame. For now, until proven otherwise, I will blame physical therapy for this infection. Damn you physical therapy!!!


The Lashers will be quarantined this week and all activities have been cancelled. It's a major bummer because we were supposed to host a play date, go to Gymboree, go to the Strawberry Festival and plan our trip to Disney. Instead, we will play at home by ourselves and try to make the most of our time at home. with plenty of rest, fluids and Motrin. 


All things considered, Bella is her usual, happy self and such a good patient. For the time being, we have decided to remove her helmet to prevent any complications from a fever. I must admit, I am very much enjoying a helmet-less Bella. It makes cuddling with her so much easier and my body is thankful for less bruises this week. 


That's all from the Lasher Infirmary, for now. 


Love always,
Ian, Kim and Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment