Sunday, August 28, 2011

The calm after the storm

We made it through yet another natural disaster... unscathed. Hurricane Irene has come and gone and we are so happy to see her go! Good riddance!


Hurricane Irene brought with her heavy rain and some howling winds, which kept most of us awake last night. The occasional power outages at my sister's house were more of an annoyance than anything and her house never lost power for more than two minutes. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for my friends and family in Maryland. My dad's house lost power for about 3 hours and my mom's house has been without power for over 24-hours. Bummer. My dad's sump pump did it's job and kept his basement dry... thank goodness!


We returned to Maryland this afternoon and were greeted with with beautiful sunny skies! The calm after the storm almost makes the entire storm worth it... almost. The winds have died down and now we're experiencing cool breezes. After days and days of rain, the sunny skies were definitely appreciated. Hopefully the weather will remain cool and breezy for the next few days. Bella and I (and the dogs) took advantage of the cool afternoon and each took a 2.5 hour nap. It was definitely needed, as neither of us having been feeling 100%. As usual, Ian worked while we napped, but I'm sure he enjoyed the peace and quiet while we napped. Fortunately he is ahead of schedule and unlike the past few nights, he won't have to pull an all-nighter tonight! 


I almost forgot to mention... we had a fabulous time at Heidi and Noah's wedding last night! Heidi was an absolutely beautiful bride and Noah was such a handsome groom. We celebrated their nuptials with great food and a few drinks... and lots of dancing of course. Congratulations and best wishes Heidi and Noah! 


Well, it's been a long and eventful weekend so I'm going to finish up my nap with a good night's sleep. I have a feeling I will fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Good night y'all!


Love always,
Ian, Kim & Bella

2 comments:

  1. We still have no power! But I can't complain too much, since we also have no storm damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo! Not having any power sucks, no matter how long the power is out for. I had to throw everything out of the fridge because something smelled funky and I'm certain it's because of the lack of power. Hope y'all get power back soon!!!

    ReplyDelete