Friday, July 29, 2011

Feeling old

Have you ever felt old and out of place at a place you used to frequent all the time? I felt that way last night at a bar we used to go to 2-3 times a week before we moved to the suburbs. I no longer felt cool or like I was the youngest person there, but rather, I felt totally uncool and old. While being there brought back a lot of wonderful and fun memories of nights out with friends, it also reminded me of how much my life has changed over the past 3.5 years.

Here is a brief account of what happened yesterday... we joined a few old friends of ours for a night out in South Tampa. I was under the impression that we'd just be hanging out at a friend's house and making it an early night. Apparently Ian had other plans and we ended up going to MacDinton's... a place I haven't been in many, many years. It was a Thursday night, so it was packed with young 20-somethings dressed to the nines in their cute dresses and heels. People kept bumping into me and making me spill my water (uncool, I know). I think we lasted a total of 30 minutes at MacDinton's and were ready to go home. Luckily there wasn't a cover charge and we didn't valet our car because I would have been annoyed at the complete waste of money.

To be completely honest, I don't miss that lifestyle... at all. I don't miss driving around the streets of South Tampa looking for a half way decent parking spot. I don't miss walking 2 miles just to get to the bar from my half way decent parking spot. I don't miss handing my ID to some bouncer. I don't miss waiting 15 minutes just to get the bar tender's attention to order a drink. And I definitely don't miss the hangovers.

Yes, my life has significantly changed from how it was several years ago and I'm more than okay with that because my life has changed for the better. Instead of spending time and money at some trendy bar, I'm spending time with my family at Busch Gardens. Instead of parking 2 miles away from some trendy bar, I'm parking in family parking spots at Brandon Mall. Instead of living in South Tampa, I'm now living in the suburbs. And instead of driving my cute, little 2-door, red Hyundai Tiburon, I'm driving around in my fully-loaded Honda Odyssey. All of this being said, life is great and I wouldn't have it any other way!

And it was AWESOME not to wake up without a hangover this morning! It's time to get started on some chores and errands I need to take care of... ahh, such is the life of a stay-at-home-mom in the 'view!

Love always,
Ian, Kim & Bella

1 comment:

  1. I hate that feeling, too! Luckily we moved to DC right before we got married, so I haven't had to feel lame in MacDintons, yet. Although I do feel lame sometimes that I've only been out out in DC once. We go out to dinner and happy hours all the time, but out, out? NO!

    I've loved your bargain shopping posts and want to share a high school/college buddies blog with you-she features awesome deals and a lots for Orlando/Tampa. Ian was friends with Jen in college, too! www.thesuburbanmom.com

    ReplyDelete