Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bella's Rocking Horse

Last summer, while Grandma Ruth was on vacation, she bought Bella a rocking horse from an antique shop in North Carolina. I will be honest and say that at first sight, I wasn't the least bit excited about the rocking horse and I doubted it's potential. That being said, I have eaten my words and I am beyond excited about this rocking horse!


The rocking horse was made in 1940, which makes it 71-years-old. It has the original label with the manufacturing company and year in which it was manufactured, which will be reapplied once the rocking horse is refinished. Grandma Ruth dropped off the rocking horse about two weeks ago so that it could be stripped. We selected the stain and finish today and I am anticipating the addition of this beautiful rocking horse to our family. The plan is to pass this rocking horse down to each generation and the thought of beginning a new tradition brings me great excitement.


Bella and I met Grandma Ruth in South Tampa at an antique restoration shop this afternoon. We've passed the shop thousands of times, but never noticed it until today. It's a little old shop called Dave A. Nores Antique Restoration and is located just down the street from where we used to live. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it houses beautiful antique furniture. I like unique pieces of furniture, so this place was right up my alley. It made me want to restore and refinish the antique sewing machine I inherited from Ian's Great Aunt Helen. 


The shop should have the rocking horse restored by next week and I definitely will post pictures once it's in our house. Even though it's an antique, it's a children's toy and so Bella will be able to play with it. In fact, Bella can't wait to rock on her new rocking horse! I can't believe Bella will have a rocking horse that is 70 years older than her... that's crazy! 


Okay, that's enough about a damn rocking horse... it's funny how your priorities change once you have kids. 


Love always,
Ian, Kim & Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment