Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5th... 15 years

Today marks 15 years since my beloved grandfather, Bebop, passed away. This day never gets easier and even 15 years later, I still dread this date. 


Even though I was only 12-years-old at the time, I remember the day like it was yesterday. I woke up that morning and was greeted by my dad. I remember thinking it was odd that my dad was home because it was during the week and not a weekend. We were in the dining room at my dad's house and he didn't even have to open his mouth for me to know why he was home that day. He told me that Bebop had passed away early that morning and we would be going to my aunt's later that day to be with family. 


The next few days were a blur and I spent most of my time with my cousins. This is also the time my cousin Amy taught me to French braid my own hair. To this day, I still can't French braid anyone else's hair, but can still French braid my own. I remember taking walks with my cousins and talking about what we'd miss most about Bebop. I felt so bad for my younger cousins because they were only 6, 9 and 10 at the time. I thought about the time I had spent with Bebop and longed for my cousins to have more time with him.


Bebop was an amazing man. He was gentle, soft spoken and patient. He enjoyed gardening, bird watching and collecting the golf balls that entered his yard from the local country club. He had his life cut short by a misdiagnosis and it's totally unfair. I enjoyed the 12, almost 13 years I had with him but I've always wished for me. I'd like for him to have met Ian and Bella. He'd be the best great-grandfather and Bella would be in love with him, and he'd be in love with her. But as a mother, I can share all my really wonderful memories of Bebop with her. 


Not a day goes by that I don't miss either Bebop or Mom-Mom. They were two very special people in my life and loved their family very much. Each member of our family is who they are because of them. Without them, our family wouldn't be. They are the glue that held our family together and their children are now the glue that holds the family together. We miss them dearly, but they are in a better place. Some day we will all be reunited and until then, I will hold them in my heart and mind.


Love always,
Ian, Kim & Bella


P.S. Today Casey Anthony was found not guilty of murdering her daughter, Caylee. I cannot say I'm pleased with the verdict because I don't feel that justice was served. Such a sad, sad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment