Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Giant Baby?

I went to the hospital today for a perinatal appointment and ultrasound. Normally I'd be excited at a chance to see baby #2, but I wasn't expecting this appointment, it was at the hospital and it was early. I was told to arrive between 7:30-7:45am to register and then my appointment was at 8:00am.

I arrived at 7:45am and registered as expected. There wasn't much to go over seeing that I had been at the hospital the day before. What I wasn't expecting was the $100 co-pay that the registration lady said I owed. I had no idea how they came to this number, as perinatal appointments are covered at 100%. Rather than argue with the lady and reschedule the appointment, I paid the $100 using our FSA card and vowed to dispute the charge once it went through on our insurance. I was back in the waiting room by 7:55am and began what turned out to be a very long wait. I watched at two patients who arrived after me were taken back and I was soon the only one left in the waiting room. I waited... and waited... and waited some more. Finally at 9:00am, the ultrasound technician called my name and I was finally taken back for the ultrasound.

The u/s technician scanned some of my parts and said that at first glance, things looked just fine. This was a huge relief because my OB was concerned about me being dilated or my cervix shortening. Thankfully my cervix appeared to be fully intact. She was also looking for the placental lake that appeared on an earlier u/s, but could not find any during this u/s. Yay! The u/s technician then moved to baby #2. She took measurements of essentially every major body part of baby #2. We then briefly discussed the measurements... and I was presented with some shocking news. Baby #2 appears to be measuring 3-weeks ahead in terms of her femur length, stomach circumference and head circumference. I was 32 weeks 1 day, and she was measuring at about 35 weeks 2 days. Her estimated weight was approximately 4 pounds 14 ounces. OH MY GOD, I AM GOING TO HAVE A HUGE BABY! I know these measurements are just estimates, but Bella wasn't exactly a small baby. She was two weeks early and weighed 8 pounds 3 ounces. I will definitely be discussing baby #2's size with the OB at my next appointment. I don't want to be induced (at all) but I also don't want to deliver a ginormous baby! Hopefully baby #2 decides that she is ready and comes a week or two early and this will be a moot point.

I don't have any pre-existing conditions or gestational diabetes that would potentially cause me to have big babies. I'm not overweight and have a relatively small frame. Ian and I weren't big babies and we were each about 7-pounds. I suppose I'm just destined to have big babies, which is fine by me. I can't imagine having a 5 or 6-pound baby and how fragile they must be. Bella was a big, sturdy baby and I liked that. Baby #2 can be whatever size she needs to be, just as long as she is healthy. Just a little less than 8-weeks before this little girl is due, but if she would like to arrive a little early, that'd be just fine by me.

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2

No comments:

Post a Comment