Thursday, January 12, 2012

Coke be gone!

Anyone who knows me knows that I am addicted to Coke (as in Coca-Cola, not booger sugar). Coke became a staple in my "diet" in high school and I loved the little boost of energy the caffeine gave me. Through college, I drank Coke, even though I attended a college that only sold Pepsi products (eww). When I joined the working world, I continued drinking Coke to wake me up in the morning and throughout the work day. I'm not a coffee drinker, so Coke was my drink of choice almost every day. Even while I was pregnant with Bella and during this pregnancy, I continued to drink a limited amount of Coke (one or two a day). Needless to say, I was a Coke addict.

After returning from Baltimore last week, I had the goal of eliminating Coke from my diet. Not for any specific reason, other than water is much better for me (and baby #2) than Coke. And I decided to go cold turkey, which is the only way to go for me. Today marks one week since I had my last Coke and have consumed nothing but water as a beverage. This is HUGE for me! I even turned down my an ice cold fountain Coke at Hamburger Mary's the other day, which was very difficult for me because fountain Coke is my absolute favorite!

This week has been a bit of a struggle for me to wake up in the morning without my favorite beverage. I have managed to get through the first week, which is the the most difficult to get through. Rather than beginning my day with a Coke, I've been making a big glass of ice water and adding a little bit of lemon to it (exciting, I know). I have increased my water intake, which is great in preventing edema due to pregnancy. I even feel a little bit better, although I'm not sure if it's a mental thing or a physical thing. Either way, I'll take it.

Once baby #2 arrives, I can't make any promises that I won't return to my old habit, because this mama will NEED the caffeine, but I'm also not planning on it either. Perhaps I should try to go for an entire year without drinking Coke... wouldn't that be something?!?

Love always,
Ian, Kim, Bella & Baby #2

No comments:

Post a Comment